New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events.]
Pastor Doug’s October 2014 newsletter article is reprinted below:
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Our vision as Christ’s church is to glorify Jesus Christ by reflecting the beauty of the gospel as His church. We desire to plant churches where the gospel’s beauty is revealed.
What is a gospel church? How do we identify the church that is transformed by the gospel of Christ? I am identifying the fruit of a gospel church in order to help us visualize the fruit of the gospel in Christ’s church.
What are the characteristics of a healthy gospel church?
- A belief that the gospel is the power of God in every circumstance of life (Romans 1:16-17). The just live by faith.
- The gospel gives God’s people the security to confess their sins and face them and turn from their sins.
- The gospel gives joy in the time of trouble and affliction (Romans 5:3).
- The gospel allows the church to be a place to grieve.
- The gospel breaks down racial and cultural differences – our identity is in Christ.
- The gospel helps us to turn from idols to serve the living God (1 Thessalonians 1:1).
- The gospel gives hope for the future – a gospel church is expectant of God’s blessing (1 Thessalonians 1:10).
- A gospel church does not make a name for itself but for Christ.
- Individuals matter in a gospel church – and their souls are consistently cared for.
- The gospel is preached – Christ is the focus of every sermon from every book of the Bible.
Jesus Christ has promised to build His church. I take great comfort in Christ’s promise. His Spirit is with us. The greatest terror to me is to do the work of the ministry without Christ’s Holy Spirit with us.
Praise be to God, that he is with us through the blood and righteousness of Christ.
Yours in Christ,
- Congregational Meeting at 7 PM to discuss offers from area cell phone companies in setting up a tower on church property. The meeting will be in room 100.
- Funeral service for Ki Sung Lee (Pastor Sung’s youngest son). The service is open to anyone who wants to attend. Time: This Thursday 7:30 pm; Place: Stafford Korean Baptist Church; 168 Onville Rd, Stafford, VA 22556
- Boys Brigade Campout (Friday through Sunday)
- Pioneer Girls Campout (Friday through Saturday)
- Session/Deacons Meeting at 7 PM – Please pray for our elders and deacons as we meet to care for New Life in Christ Church
- Christmas Cantata Choir and Orchestra rehearsal (9 AM)
- AM Praise Team Rehearsal (sanctuary) (11:30 AM)
- Evening of Prayer and Worship hosted by Central Virginia Justice Initiative (7 PM) – Last Sunday night we heard a powerful presentation by Michelle Trampe on the Central Virginia Justice Initiative. Come and worship God and pray for the elimination of human trafficking in our region, commonwealth, nation, and world.
- Celebration of the Lord’s Supper
- Adult and Children’s Sunday School Classes (9 AM)
- Worship Service – Pastor Doug will continue preaching through the book of Matthew (10 AM)
- Evening Service: Billy Clark speaking (6 PM) – Come and hear from the Clarks as they finish their trip t6 the USA and soon move back to Peru
- Youth Discipleship Groups: Senior High Youth OASIS / Junior High at the Dowell’s home (7 PM)
- Elder-led Prayer Time (room 142) Kim Lorei / Parker Page leading (7 PM)