New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events this weekend.]
Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
Vacation Bible School
We have a HUGE week ahead. We anticipate having 100 children at New Life in Christ Church here for Vacation Bible School. This year’s theme is SonSparks Labs … a time to use science to show God as both Creator and Redeemer. Each of the children will learn the supremacy of Jesus Christ and how they can commit their lives to Him.
“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.“ – John 14:6
Pray for every child who attends VBS, that they may see the love of Jesus and commit themselves to following him.
New New Life in Christ Church Logo
Have you noticed the new logo of the church yet? Of course you have.
In celebrating our 40th Anniversary we are called to remember where we have come from, but also to remember our mission ahead.
In Revelation 2:5, Jesus says to the church at Ephesus, “Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first.“ They needed to remember where they had come from so that they would be obedient to God for their mission now.
|This was the original logo of the church, created by Joe Dibella.|
As we turn 40 this year we need to remember how we fulfilled our mission in the past and continue to be faithful in the future. The new logo is one of the small ways we commit to doing this. New Life in Christ Church has made reaching our community a priority for forty years now. We intend to continue reaching our community over the next 40 years as well.
|In 2007 we asked Drew Kittredge to update the logo to have a more contemporary look.|
One of the ways the elders wanted to mark that priority is through a new logo with the church. The session thought it was time to change our logo as we think about communicating our hope to new generations. We asked for a few logo suggestions and we selected one designed by Josh Storms.
Did you ever notice the old logo? It was packed with meaning. Joe Dibella designed it years ago at Pastor Doug’s request. The old logo depicts the cross and the burning bush. Depending on what you focus on you see so much: Jesus Christ, redemption, the gospel, the law, God’s holiness, the Holy Spirit, and spiritual life.
In changing the logo, we move to a more simple logo that would be more readily identifiable with New Life in Christ Church. Josh Storms’ design maintains the same meaning as the old logo, but in a more contemporary way. It shows Christ, redemption, glory, and spiritual life.
|In recognition of our 40th anniversary, Josh Storms designed a new logo for the church.|
Because it is more readily identifiable with our church, we hope that it will be a useful tool to tell others about Jesus Christ and invite them to New Life in Christ Church.
Our prayer as we begin our next 40 years is that we would continue to communicate the historic gospel effectively to our present generation. We plan to include this logo on the front of our bulletin starting August 2015.
- Needed Supplies for the Manse can be found here
- Sign up to Fold Bulletins
- Sign up to help with kitchen clean up here
- Help with the Pre-Teen Girls Bible Study
- Help with the Pre-16 Boys Study
What I’m Reading
- Book: The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges
- Book: Counter Culture: A Compassionate Call to Counter Culture in a World of Poverty, Same-Sex Marriage, Racism, Sex Slavery, Immigration, Abortion, Persecution, Orphans and Pornography by David Platt
- Book: On Guard: Preventing and Responding to Child Abuse at Church by Deepak Reju – a very helpful book on preventing child sexual abuse in the church. We are seeking a new Director of Child Protection. If you are interested in serving in this way, please see me.
- Online: Planned Parenthood: A Tragedy Beyond Qualification – All of the ugliness of abortion comes to the surface in stories like this. The evil is always there, but stories like this bring that evil to light.
- Online: Keeping Technology in Check – An important consideration for parents … Something we need to keep in check.
- 7:30 PM – Creation Club
- 9:00 am – AM Praise Team rehearsal
- 3:00 pm – JH/SH Cookout and Swim Party at Pastor Doug’s house (709 Mary Ball Street) ‘til 6:30 PM
- 9:00 AM – Children’s and Adult Sunday School Classes. Find out more about adult classes online here.
- 10:00 AM – AM Worship Service –Pastor Doug Preaching– We are continuing our series on Leviticus this week.
- 11:45 AM – VBS Meeting (Room 100)
- Pre-Teen Girls Bible Study – Meet in Foyer
- Pre-16 Boys Bible Study – Meet at Foyer
- 6 PM – Evening Service – Cherokee Team Report
- 7:30 PM – No Open House this week