New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events this weekend.]
Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
Happy Independence Day! This weekend we celebrate the 239th birthday of our nation. We have so much to give thanks for as we remember the core convictions that have defined our nation for all these years.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
The core convictions growing out of this belief gives us the freedom to worship God according to our conscious. In America, at least to this point, we have been able to be as godly as we want to be, without any governmental constraint upon our conscience.
True freedom comes from God, not from government. True freedom is possible, even in a place where there is no free expression of religious convictions. True freedom comes when we are set free from sin and begin doing what we were created for—to live in communion with God.
“For freedom Christ has set us free; … For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” – Galatians 5:1, 13
The freedom of God comes when a person is set free from the tyranny of sin. True freedom comes when a person is forgiven. True freedom comes when we trust Jesus Christ, when he forgives our sins and sets us free from God’s judgment, when he frees us from the devil and our enslaving habits, and when he sets us free from legalistic religion that will not save.
We live out our freedom when we love and serve God. We live out our freedom by obeying his commands, enjoying him, and worshiping him in everything we do.
This kind of freedom comes only from God. It is a freedom that we can enjoy regardless of what any government says.
Our nation has recognized and honored that freedom for the past 239 years. Those freedoms are never a guarantee. Even now, a number Christians in our country have been denied their freedom of religious practice. Pray for our country that those freedoms would continue.
And never forget that true freedom comes from the Lord when we believe in Jesus Christ. Celebrate that freedom by choosing to live for Jesus Christ today.
PS. We are looking forward to celebrating our 40th Anniversary next weekend. It is pretty amazing to see that all of the spaces at our 40th anniversary banquet have been reserved. We are full! There may be people looking for a spot at a table, so if you reserved a place, but do not plan to attend, be sure to let us know so that we can make that spot available to someone who is able to attend. Thank you so much!
PPS. Whether or not you come to the 40th Anniversary Banquet, plan to come to the 40th Anniversary Worship Service Sunday at 3:30 (please note the time)! Praise God for his faithfulness.
- Needed Supplies for the Manse can be found here
- Bring food to the 40th Anniversary Service Reception
- Sign up to Fold Bulletins
- Sign up to help with kitchen clean up here
- Help with the Pre-Teen Girls Bible Study
- Help with the Pre-16 Boys Study
What I’m Reading
- Book: The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges
- Book: Counter Culture: A Compassionate Call to Counter Culture in a World of Poverty, Same-Sex Marriage, Racism, Sex Slavery, Immigration, Abortion, Persecution, Orphans and Pornography by David Platt
- On Guard: Preventing and Responding to Child Abuse at Church by Deepak Reju – a very helpful book on preventing child sexual abuse in the church. We are seeking a new Director of Child Protection. If you are interested in serving in this way, please see me.
- 7 PM – Financial Peace University begins with an Free Introductory Session … Find out how God’s Word can transform your personal finances.
- OFFICE CLOSED for INDEPENDENCE DAY
- Independence Day
- Cherokee Missions Team Returns
- 9:00 AM – Children’s and Adult Sunday School Classes. Find out more about adult classes online here.
- 10:00 AM – AM Worship Service –Pastor Doug Preaching– We are continuing our new series on Leviticus this week.
- Pre-Teen Girls Bible Study – Meet in Foyer
- Pre-16 Boys Bible Study – Meet at Foyer
- 6 PM – Evening Service – Pastor Doug Preaching
- 7:30 PM – Open House at the home of Jim and Karen Melnick (335 Poplar Road Fredericksburg, VA 22406)