New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend.
[Scroll down for weekend events]
Men’s Retreat (October 4-6) – The Man of Conviction: The Uncompromising Pursuit of Sovereign Joy. God offers glorious promises of sovereign joy to those who trust him and walk in the obedience of faith. The world, the flesh, and the devil also make great “promises” of happiness. All that is required to find these promises is to turn aside from God’s promises. Yet we know that those promises always fail to deliver. More than anyone, men today are confronted with a decision between living for the future promises of God and living for the “promises of now”. The response we need is the response of faith, a faith that is more than skin deep. What we need to walk in God’s promises, for the sake of ourselves and for the people counting on us, is the faith of conviction. During our retreat we will discover how to live as men of conviction, men who are able to stand in faith for the things that matter most.
On behalf of the men’s retreat planning team, we’d love to have you come and we’d love to have you bring some other man that you would like to get to know better. It is a great event to invite people to.
This Sunday (the 15th) is the last day that men can pay and receive a $10 discount for the retreat. After that it is still an affordable $140. Please contact Alan Dowell or George Giddens if you have questions or if you would like to register. I hope you can come.
In Concert: Matthew Smith and Indelible Grace (October 18 at 7:30 AM) – Matthew Smith and Indelible Grace and are coming to concert at New Life in Christ Church for a night of great music. These musicians take traditional hymns and rearrange the music to contemporary tunes. In fact we sing many of these hymns at New Life in Christ Church. I recently read one author say, “we worship before we know—or rather, we worship in order to know.” (See Romans 12:1-2 for the biblical case for this point.) These songs have been reworked to keep our worship white hot, by leaving us with doctrinally solid and musically beautiful hymns. You can listen to some of their music at mattewsmith.us. Learn more about the event online at our website (http://www.nlicc.org/matthew-
We’re working with Evident Grace and Hope of Christ in this concert. Tickets can be purchased ahead of time for $5 for an individual and $15 for a family. They can be purchased at the door for $7 per individual or $20 for a family. It should be affordable family fun and a special time for us as a church.
Seminar: Writing Hymns for the Modern Age with Matthew Smith (October 18 at 5:30 PM): We’ve also asked Matthew Smith to come early to talk with us about the importance of rewriting hymns for our contemporary culture. He will give a 30 minute presentation followed by a time for Q&A. If you are interested in modern day hymn writing, hymn singing, or know someone who is, please come to this informative time together. This presentation is free to the public.
Let me also add that it is worth reading our weekly Women’s Ministry Update Online. While the information is focused on women’s ministry, it is an excellent synopsis of events in the church.
Men’s Breakfast @ 8 AM
Dear New Life Men, we want to invite you to the men’s breakfast this Saturday morning at 8 AM. It’s great food, it’s great fellowship, and this month we will be hearing from Pastor Doug as he shares with us how we can engage in one-another’s lives as men.
- 8:30 Women’s Ministry Committee / 10:00 am Women’s Ministry Training (room 219)
- 9:30 am – Elders Day to Dream Meeting
- 9:30 Christmas Cantata Choir Rehearsal
- 11:15 am – AM Praise Team Rehearsal
- 12:00 pm Christmas Cantata Orchestra Rehearsal
- Children’s and Adult Sunday School Classes – 9 AM (Click here for list of Adult Classes)
- Worship Service – 10 AM –Pastor Doug is continues with part 2 of his morning sermon series on the book of Hebrews.
- Young Adult Potluck – 1 PM at the home of Jonathan and Veronica Allison (9300 Timberlake Road 22408)
- Evening Service – 6 PM – Concert of Prayer. Join us for a time of prayer as we ask the Lord to revive our hearts and reach our community.
- Youth Discipleship Groups– 7 PM – Junior High and Senior High Youth Groups meet tonight. Senior High will meet in the youth room (new addition, top floor). Junior High will meet in room 216.
- Prayer – 7 PM – Join our evening prayer group for elder-led time of prayer this Sunday and every Sunday through the year. Dan Deaconson is leading this week.