New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events.]
Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
“…Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor;” – Isaiah 1:17a
This week, I simply want to invite you to a couple of events. First is a Sunday evening service of particular interest. Michele Trampe will be speaking about Human Trafficking in our region and some grassroots efforts of believers in our area to battle against this evil. Michele wrote an excellent article for the women of the church last week. The facts are startling. She writes,
“Human trafficking is a global shadow industry that generates in excess of $32 billion annually, that’s more than Nike, Starbucks and Google combined. That’s “big business”. It can take the form of commercial sex, labor, or organ trafficking. Although, the later form generally does not occur in the U.S. at this time. I was probably like many who thought that human trafficking couldn’t possibly happen here in our community. Regrettably, we are not immune.”
You can read the whole article online here. Join us at 6 PM to understand, pray, and learn what you can do about this evil. Join us Sunday night at 6 PM to know more.
The second event is a congregational meeting next Thursday night at 7 PM to discuss the possibility of locating a cell phone tower on our property. A number of cell phone companies have called about putting a tower on the property, between the baseball field and I-95. Our meeting next Thursday is an information meeting only, and we will have a second congregational meeting to vote on the proposal at a future date (tentatively scheduled for October 18 at 7 PM). While our elders and deacons are favorable to the idea, we believe this is a matter for the entire church to consider, and we are also looking for feedback on the matter before we put it before the congregation for a final vote. Hope you can come.
Looking forward to seeing you this Sunday.
- Junior High Youth Retreat at Shenandoah Springs
- Church Work Day – 9:00 AM – We have a number of opportunities for you to improve the look and maintenance of the church. No offer of help will be turned down, we all have something we can contribute, right? Contact Craig Cuddy if you have any questions.
- Children’s and Adult Sunday School Classes – 9 AM
- Worship Service – 10 AM –Pastor Doug is continues in his series on the book of Matthew.
- Evening Service – 6 PM – Michele Trampe on Human Trafficking and the Central Virginia Justice Initiative.
- Youth Discipleship Groups– 7 PM – Junior High and Senior High Youth Groups meet tonight. Senior High will meet in the youth room (new addition, top floor). Junior High will meet in room 216.
- Prayer – 7 PM – Join our evening prayer group for elder-led time of prayer this Sunday and every Sunday through the year. Chris Garcia and George Giddens are leading this week.