Scroll down for current announcements.
My Idol: Me
by Gretchen Trump
“Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.”
Different ones have suggested I write my story to help encourage others. I have put it off because I wanted to wait until certain events took place. I thought the testimony would be stronger when these were completed. I wanted to give the best testimony possible. I told myself this would bring greater glory to God.
I was just fooling myself, because I wanted God to do what I wanted done.
I wanted to be able to write that I had quit my job so I could just be Gramma Gretchen for the rest of my earthly life. I mean, what’s wrong with that? Wouldn’t that show God’s mercy and provision toward me? After all, He made the decision for me to be a widow. I most definitely did not choose to be a widow.
Everything is wrong with that – because it was not in God’s timing or God’s will.
I found that I had made an idol. My idol was ME: my wants, my desires, my happiness.
A few years ago, the women of New Life in Christ held a day conference with Nancy Guthrie’s three part video series on “The Grace that Gave You Life, Sought You Out, and Bought You Back.” In the final session Nancy stated that idols are not necessarily bad things. They can be good things, like me wanting to be grandmother to my grandchildren. Yet, I had not allowed God to direct my desire. I just wanted my way – not His way.
In spite of my shortcomings, God has made some great changes in my work in the last several weeks. My hours have changed so I can attend Care Group on Wednesday night at the DiBella’s home. Plus, I have a different supervisor which is giving me a more diverse perspective on my profession.
More importantly, He also has allowed me to minister to several co-workers that have had major life events recently. If I had quit, I would not have been able to share their heartaches and offer God’s comfort and grace. God even arranged it so my co-workers asked me to pray during our section meeting for our friend who was having surgery that day.
I continue to struggle with my will, but God is gracious. His Spirit continues to lovingly say, “This is the way, walk ye in it.”
I hear the Savior say, “Thy strength indeed is small; Child of weakness, watch and pray, Find in Me thine all in all.” Elvina M. Hall, Jesus Paid It All
About Gretchen: God graciously called me out of darkness and into His marvelous light at a young age. He also blessed me with thirty-five years of marriage to my wonderful husband, Lloyd. A year after my husband’s death, I moved to Fredericksburg and was welcomed lovingly at New Life in Christ Church. God provided me with a career move to GEICO soon after that move. I have three grown children and six grandchildren. Currently, I am a member of the Women’s Ministry at NLICC.
Festival of the Arts – February 7th and 8th
All you artists (painters, photographers, graphic designers, sculptors, potters, etc.) remember the 5th Annual Festival of the Arts, February 7th & 8th. Prepare your work for submission by Wednesday, February 5th. See flyer in the foyer for details or contact Jonathan or Veronica Allison.
Prayer Shower for 7 (!) Expectant Moms February 8th (Women’s Prayer Breakfast)
- Rejoice with Amanda Oberlin (due March 28th, girl), Cindy Hughes (due April 7th, girl), Laura Heflin (due May 11th, girl), Laura Scrivener (June 17th, boy), Breanna Taussig (June), Jessie Whalen (July 3) and Trina Ewing (due late Aug/early Sept) in expectation of covenant babies!
- Come for breakfast and fellowship – Don’t know the moms? A great reason to come meet them!
- Pray for the new lives even now as they are being formed, for their salvation, their families and for safe and healthy deliveries for each mother and child.
- No need to bring gifts (four of these are the families’ first babies so there will be baby showers)
- Children are welcome, we’d love to have them join in the prayer and expectation of babies!
- Sign up here if you are willing to help with breakfast.
- Let us know if there are other expectant moms to include that we don’t know about! email@example.com.
Women’s Ministry Committee Meeting – February 9th at 4:30pm in Room 217
Women’s Retreat Meeting – Want to help plan the October retreat? – February 17th at 7pm
We’ll meet in the red conference room across from the kitchen. We’d love to have you join us!
Personal Safety Class February 17th at New City Fellowship
The New City Fellowship ladies have invited us to a women’s personal safety overview on February 17th @ 7:15pm in NCF Fellowship Hall. RAD Instructor and Spotsy Sheriff Deputy Allen Lucas will speak for an hour about simple defense techniques and awareness that women can employ for their personal safety. He will give an overview of the RAD class that he can offer (free of charge to participants). They hope to identify at least 8 women and/or 12-17 year old girls who would like to take this class. Childcare will be available at this meeting. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for RSVP info.
Missions Month Help
- Help with morning coffee treats for Missions Month HERE. Sign up to bring international cookies or pastries or your favorite treat one Sunday morning in March.
- Check for additional opportunities to help with Missions Month in the following weeks
Office Help Needed
- Christine in the office is looking for some help with starting to archive our church history. If you would be interested by sorting records and/or church pictures, please contact her at email@example.com or 540-786-4848.
- Please let Christine know if you would be interested in helping to update the Missions Bulletin Board on at least a monthly basis. We would like to keep our missionaries’ information available to the congregation as many of them take time to send newsletters and pictures. Also we like to highlight New Life trips and teams that are ministering on behalf of our congregation.
- Do you have a couple hours on a Friday afternoon you can spare? Sign up HERE to fold bulletins after 1pm some Friday. Takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours (faster if you bring a friend!)
Apology: I’d like to apologize to Trina Ewing for using her maiden name in the Update last week. Please let me know if you see errors in the update, ladies. I want to make sure I make corrections!
Thank you to those women who have committed to writing a devotion or testimony for the Women’s Update in the coming weeks, they are encouragements to all of us! Keep them coming!
Do you have a story of God’s faithfulness or of a lesson he has wrought in your heart that might encourage others? Share it with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have ministry needs or announcements that you’d like to get out? We’ll pass the word.
in His grace,
for the Women’s Ministry Committee
If you are viewing this online and would like the Update emailed to you weekly/biweekly, drop a line to email@example.com.
Likewise, if you are receiving this email and are no longer desire to receive the Update, email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Unsubscribe” in the subject line.