Scroll down for current announcements.
by Krystal Dowell
“Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart.”
As a young Christian one of the desires of my heart was to have a consistent, profitable time in God’s Word each morning; a goal so seemingly simple yet so frustratingly unachievable. Why? No matter how much earlier I woke up to begin this quiet time one of my four children woke up too. And believe it or not, when the children started getting up I believed it was part of my calling as their mother to put all aside and meet their needs. Silly me.
Thankfully, shortly after we began attending New Life there was a multi church women’s retreat that several of us attended. The theme was How to Eat an Elephant. The teaching that weekend centered around studying God’s Word one “bite” at a time. It was in our small group that I asked for prayer that this desire for a meaningful quiet time would become a reality. The wise women in our group not only prayed for me but let me know that it was okay to say to early rising little ones “This is Mommy’s time to read God’s Word so you can sit here quietly or go back to your room and play quietly until I’m done.” Really? Mommies of young children were “allowed” to say that? It sounded so selfish. (see above statement, Silly me).
2 years later, and another little one, I was reading the Word and it dawned on me that I was no longer being interrupted and hadn’t been for some time. I’m not sure the exact time the prayers over me were answered but they were. And what do you know? My early risers actually sat quietly with me or went back to their rooms and eventually stopped getting up as early as I did.
I remember this time warmly for several reasons: the longing in my heart was fulfilled, I learned a little bit more about spiritual warfare and how innocent it can look, and as a bonus I received wisdom in my parenting. These days I get to repeat those words of wisdom to my grandchildren when, during a visit, they come running into my room early in the morning and I’m not quite ready to put my Bible aside. And it works with them too with one difference; now as soon as my Bible is placed on the nightstand the quiet is broken with squeals and laughter seeing that the bed covers instantly become a tent to hide from the monsters. My “young mommy morning schedule” never had time for monsters.
About Krystal: Krystal is married to Alan Dowell and they have 6 children, 3 wonderful in law children, 9 Grands, and one Grand on the way. They moved to Fredericksburg for a quick 2 year stay…30 years ago! NLICC has been their church home for those 30 years. A few of her favorite things are: this season of life with her husband, family, time with Grands, tennis, walking – especially downtown, coffee/time with friends, teaching sewing, teaching Sunday School, reading, and the BEACH!
Festival of the Arts – February 7th and 8th
Gallery opens at 6pm. Performances begin at 6:30 each evening.
The President’s Own String Quartet performs at 8pm Saturday evening.
Prayer Shower for 7 (!) Expectant Moms February 8th from 9-10:30am (Women’s Prayer Breakfast)
- Rejoice with Amanda Oberlin (due March 28th, girl), Cindy Hughes (due April 7th, girl), Laura Heflin (due May 11th, girl), Laura Scrivener (June 17th, boy), Breanna Taussig (June 10th), Jessie Whalen (July 3rd) and Trina Ewing (due Sept 3rd) in expectation of covenant babies!
- Come for breakfast and fellowship – Don’t know the moms? A great reason to come meet them!
- Pray for the new lives even now as they are being formed, for their salvation, their families and for safe and healthy deliveries for each mother and child.
- No need to bring gifts (four of these are the families’ first babies so there will be baby showers)
- Children are welcome, we’d love to have them join in the prayer and expectation of babies!
- Sign up here if you are willing to help with breakfast.
- Let us know if there are other expectant moms to include that we don’t know about! email@example.com.
Erika Johnson’s Memorial Service Saturday, February 8th at 11:30am in Fireside Room
Erika was Lucina Lorei’s beloved mother who passed away last week in South Africa.
If you would like to contribute food for the reception you may sign up HERE.
If you are there for the Prayer Shower prior we’d love to have help setting up the Fireside Room for the service.
Women’s Ministry Committee Meeting – February 9th at 4:30pm in Room 217
Women’s Retreat Meeting – Want to help plan the October retreat? – February 17th at 7pm
We’ll meet in the red conference room across from the kitchen. We’d love to have you join us!
Personal Safety Class February 17th at New City Fellowship
The New City Fellowship ladies have invited us to a women’s personal safety overview on February 17th @ 7:15pm in NCF Fellowship Hall. RAD Instructor and Spotsy Sheriff Deputy Allen Lucas will speak for an hour about simple defense techniques and awareness that women can employ for their personal safety. He will give an overview of the RAD class that he can offer (free of charge to participants). They hope to identify at least 8 women and/or 12-17 year old girls who would like to take this class. Childcare will be available at this meeting.
Missions Month Help
- Help with morning coffee treats for Missions Month HERE. Sign up to bring international cookies or pastries or your favorite treat one Sunday morning in March.
- Check for additional opportunities to help with Missions Month in the following weeks
Office Help Needed
- Christine in the office is looking for some help with starting to archive our church history. If you would be interested by sorting records and/or church pictures, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-786-4848.
- Please let Christine know if you would be interested in helping to update the Missions Bulletin Board on at least a monthly basis. We would like to keep our missionaries’ information available to the congregation as many of them take time to send newsletters and pictures. Also we like to highlight New Life trips and teams that are ministering on behalf of our congregation.
- Do you have a couple hours on a Friday afternoon you can spare? Sign up HERE to fold bulletins after 1pm some Friday. Takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours (faster if you bring a friend!) Questions? Ask Pam in the office.
Thank you to those women who have committed to writing a devotion or testimony for the Women’s Update in the coming weeks, they are encouragements to all of us! Keep them coming! Do you have a story of God’s faithfulness or of a lesson he has wrought in your heart that might encourage others? Share it with us at email@example.com.
Do you have ministry needs or announcements that you’d like to get out? We’ll pass the word.
in His grace,
for the Women’s Ministry Committee
If you are viewing this online and would like the Update emailed to you weekly/biweekly, drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Likewise, if you are receiving this email and are no longer desire to receive the Update, email email@example.com and put “Unsubscribe” in the subject line.