Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
We love the Lord, we love our community, our nation and we want to see gospel ministry through the world. That’s why we pray. It is a time to humble ourselves and cast our cares upon God as we pray for our families, church, nation, and the world.
People are still getting sick, joblessness is growing, people feel anxious, angry, alone and isolated. For these reasons, I am asking New Life in Christ Church to take Monday, May 4, 2020 as a day for prayer and fasting.
Would you be willing to join together in prayer? I will meet at 5 PM in a Zoom Prayer Room. If you would like to join and pray at 5, follow this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/770719915
Monday’s guide has been adapted from the PCA’s call to 30 days of prayer. I broke it up into 5 sections, and suggest taking 5 different times through the day to pray for each one. If you have more opportunities, just repeat
In this prayer guide, we turn to the attributes of God as listed in the Westminster Larger Catechism, The Psalms, and Galatians 5:22-23 (the Fruit of the Spirit) to guide our prayer and focus our hearts and mind on the attributes of God:
Prayer Time #1 Focus: God is Most Merciful and Gracious
“The LORD passed before him and proclaimed,
‘The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.’”
- Thank You for Your abundant mercy and grace. Thank You that You don’t treat us as our sins deserve. Help us to see our sin in relation to Your mercy so we may be humbled.
- We confess that sometimes in our quest for justice, we can fail to be agents of Your mercy. Forgive us.
- Help us carry Your mercy into our homes, our neighborhoods, our communities, and around the world, so Your people will reflect Your grace and mercy.
Prayer Time #2 Focus: God is Patient – Long-Suffering
2 Peter 3:9
“The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”
- Oh, Lord, You are so much more patient than we are. As we look back to the Garden and trace the journey of Your people through Scripture, we see You are never “in a hurry.” Your timing is perfect, but sometimes we forget.
- We want this pandemic to be over—yesterday. We don’t want to wait because waiting is hard, and it is so easy to be afraid in the waiting.
- Help us to be patient as You are patient.
- As we wait, fill us with Your peace and help us to trust in Your timing.
Prayer Time #3 Focus: God is Provider – Abundant in Goodness
Psalm 107:8 – “Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man!”
Romans 2:4 – “Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?”
Psalm 144:13 – “May our granaries be full, providing all kinds of produce; may our sheep bring forth thousands and ten thousands in our fields.”
1 Timothy 6:17 – “As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.”
- Lord, thank You for Your abundant provision. It is so easy to see what we don’t have and not to see Your many blessings. Forgive us.
- As we look at the world economy, we have so many questions. How will we ever recover? Forgive us for looking to money for our security and not to You, our Provider.
- Help us trust in You. Please comfort those directly hurt by the quarantine.
- Complete industries that have been devastated by this —airlines, hospitality, hotels, cruise lines, hospitals and health care, and small businesses. Be with the workers, who live paycheck to paycheck or don’t know how they are going to care for their families. You are their Provider, let them see Your faithful provision.
- Help the governments know how to support people and businesses without developing dependence.
- Help those who have to share with those who do not have. Pour out Your generosity through Your people and Your churches. May we be as generous as You are.
Prayer Time #4 Focus: God is Abundant in Truth
Deuteronomy 32:4 –
“The Rock, his work is perfect,
for all his ways are justice.
A God of faithfulness and without iniquity,
just and upright is he.”
Hebrews 6:18 –
“So that by two unchangeable things,
in which it is impossible for God to lie,
we who have fled for refuge might have strong
encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.”
- Lord, we are so easily led astray, so easily distracted, and we believe lies so quickly. Please, remind us of what is true!
- Draw us to Your Word daily. Help us in our worship as we engage in a way that fills our hearts and minds with what is true, noble, and trustworthy.
- In quarantine our families are watching hours and hours of media. Help us to be discerning. Help us teach our children to see the messages that are in their media and to equip them with a biblical worldview.
Prayer Time #5 Focus: God our Healer
Scripture: Exodus 15:26
“Saying, ‘If you will diligently listen to the voice of the LORD your God,
and do that which is right in his eyes,
and give ear to his commandments and keep all his statutes,
I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians,
for I am the LORD, your healer.’”
- In the first days after You delivered Israel from slavery in Egypt, You said, “I am the LORD, your healer.” Oh, Lord, we need Your healing!
- We need You to heal . . .
- Those struck by Covid-19—the sick and suffering.
- Those suffering from spiritual blindness.
- Our land, which is filled with modern idolatry.
- Your people, who are hurting and fearful.
If you have specific needs, please let us know (email@example.com || 540-786-4848) so that we can pray for you and offer any practical help. Our elders are available as are our deacons (https://goo.gl/forms/wZ8miuU2BptSmOtG3). Please be aware of your neighbors needs, especially the elderly and vulnerable. Please let us know if any have needs.
- PASTORAL LETTER (5/1/20) SUNDAY EVENTS AND LINKS; ANXIETY; MAY 10 DRIVE IN WORSHIP
- A TIME TO BUILD FROM PASTOR SAM ON 4/28/2020
- DEALING WITH FEAR OF CHANGE (PASTORAL LETTER AND WORSHIP PLAN – APRIL 25, 2020)
- A TIME TO SHUN EMBRACING FROM PASTOR SAM ON 4/21/2020
- “HOW CAN I HELP?” SOME WAYS NLIC HELPS PEOPLE IN NEED – FROM PASTOR SEAN (4/17/20)
- “IT’S FRIDAY, SUNDAY’S A-COMIN” … BUT WHAT ABOUT SATURDAY? (SUNDAY WORSHIP INFO FROM PASTOR SEAN) – 4/10/2020
- A TIME TO MOURN – FROM PASTOR SAM ON 4/8/2020
- WHAT IS GOD DOING? MORE THAN YOU KNOW! (SUNDAY WORSHIP INFO FROM PASTOR SEAN) – 4/4/2020
- BY THE RIVERS OF BABYLON – THE LORD’S SUPPER AND OUR HOME EXILE – FROM PASTOR SEAN ON 4/2/20
- FROM PASTOR SAM: HE IS NO FOOL (4/1/2020)
- Pastoral Newsletter- Resurrection: From Despair to Hope this Easter