Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
This is a time to fast and pray for our families, church, nation, and the world. The curve has not yet flattened, people are out of work, loved ones are sick, businesses are closed, people feel anxious, angry, alone and isolated. This is supposedly the peak week for our state, in terms of hospitalizations. For these reasons, I am asking New Life in Christ Church to take Monday, April 20, 2020 as a day for prayer and fasting.
Want to close the day in prayer as a group? I will meet from 5 PM – 6 PM in a Zoom Prayer Room. If you would like to join and pray between 5 and 6 on the 6th, follow this link: https://zoom.us/j/92330433593
Today’s guide has been adapted from the PCA’s call to 30 days of prayer. I broke it up into 5 sections, and suggest taking 5 different times through the day to pray for each one. If you have more opportunities, just repeat!
In this prayer guide, we turn to the attributes of God as listed in the Westminster Larger Catechism, The Psalms, and Galatians 5:22-23 (the Fruit of the Spirit) to guide our prayer and focus our hearts and mind on the attributes of God:
Prayer Time #1 Focus: Infinite and Unchanging in Being
Exodus 3:14 “God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.’ And he said, ‘Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
Malachi 3:6 “For I the LORD do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.”
- This crisis is finite and so are we; give us eyes to see beyond the now.
- Remind us our hope is in the eternal not in our current circumstances and help us to safely share that hope with those around us.
- As our reality changes almost moment by moment and day by day, help
- us to cling to Your unchanging constancy. You are our Strong Tower, our Hiding Place, and our Rock—help us to run to You.
- You stand outside time and space and know what we must do to get through this time. Grant us Your wisdom.
Prayer Time #2 Focus: Infinite in Glory and Blessedness
Acts 7:2 – “And Stephen said: ‘Brothers and fathers, hear me. The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran.’”
1 Timothy 6:15 – “Which he will display at the proper time—he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords.”
- We confess that we have sought glory in sports, entertainment, a pursuit of beauty and achievement, through education and experiences, and we have not sought You. Forgive us.
- Give us eyes to see Your glory now and help us, Your image-bearers, to carry Your glory into the dark places.
- Be with those who care for the weak and vulnerable who bear Your image.
- Be with the healthcare workers.
- Be with the first responders.
- Help Your followers and the Church to be Your hands and feet in our communities that Your name will be praised.
Prayer Time #3 Focus: Infinite in Perfection – Holiness
Scripture: Isaiah 6:1-5
“In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one called to another and said:
‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory.’
4 And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. 5 And I said: ‘Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!’”
- In the presence of Your holiness, we are acutely aware of our sin.
- We confess, in the face of this crisis, we have been tempted to be selfish, to hoard resources, and to think more about our own needs than the needs of our neighbors. Forgive us.
- Make us more like Jesus. During these hard days, teach us to lovingly sacrifice for those You have given us to love: our families, our neighbors, our communities.
- Teach us the joy of sacrifice as we learn to live in Your Spirit, to respond with Your compassion, and to love with Your unconditional love.
Prayer Time #4 Focus: All-sufficient
Scripture: Genesis 17:1
“When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless…”
- Lord, we confess it is easy to look to those around us—our government, our employer, our healthcare system—to meet our needs.
- Remind us that You are the only One who can sustain us. May we finally see we need You in every moment of our days.
- We need You as we are surrounded by our family. The tight space sometimes brings out our worst. Fill us with Your Spirit.
- We need You to calm our fears—we are sorely afraid of what is to come.
- We need You to make us brave and courageous that we will be faithful stewards of the gospel.
Prayer Time #5 Focus: Incomprehensible
Scripture: 1 Kings 8:27
“But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain you; how much less this house that I have built!”
- Lord, we don’t know why You have allowed Covid-19, but we know that only You can use it for our good.
- We cling to Your big-ness, that Your ways and thoughts are higher than ours, and that You are doing far beyond what we can see.
- We seek Your purpose and redemption of this situation.
If you have specific needs, please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org || 540-786-4848) so that we can pray for you and offer any practical help. Our elders are available as are our deacons (https://goo.gl/forms/wZ8miuU2BptSmOtG3). Please be aware of your neighbors needs, especially the elderly and vulnerable. Please let us know if any have needs.
- “HOW CAN I HELP?” SOME WAYS NLIC HELPS PEOPLE IN NEED – FROM PASTOR SEAN (4/17/20)
- “IT’S FRIDAY, SUNDAY’S A-COMIN” … BUT WHAT ABOUT SATURDAY? (SUNDAY WORSHIP INFO FROM PASTOR SEAN) – 4/10/2020
- A TIME TO MOURN – FROM PASTOR SAM ON 4/8/2020
- WHAT IS GOD DOING? MORE THAN YOU KNOW! (SUNDAY WORSHIP INFO FROM PASTOR SEAN) – 4/4/2020
- BY THE RIVERS OF BABYLON – THE LORD’S SUPPER AND OUR HOME EXILE – FROM PASTOR SEAN ON 4/2/20
- FROM PASTOR SAM: HE IS NO FOOL (4/1/2020)
- Pastoral Newsletter- Resurrection: From Despair to Hope this Easter