New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events this weekend.]
Growing by Memorizing
By Pastor Sean
Have you noticed the new box on the weekly bulletin? It’s a “Fighter Verse” box for Bible Verse memorization. We’ve been use weekly the memory verse from fighterverses.com.
Are your memorizing the Bible? If not, let me encourage you … Start memorizing today. Use the verse we post in the bulletin each week and commit it to memory over the next seven days. This week it is Proverbs 4:23-24.
Why is memorization so important? Psalm 119:11 says it plainly, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I will not sin against you.” Memorization helps us build the mindset necessary for holiness. For example, this week part of our meditation verse is an encouragement to watch the words we use. Simply memorizing has made it more of a focus of mine for the last week. Memorization has renewed me. It has challenged and encouraged me. For me, memorization is one of the reasons I think I am in ministry today as one memorized verse stood out to me that I could not resist the call of God to be a pastor.
I memorize by taking time on Sunday or Monday morning to write it into my daily planner. As I review my day in prayer and read by Bible, I take time to repeat it a few times until I get comfortable saying it without looking. When I worked as an engineer I wrote memory verses on notecards and reviewed them at stop lights and walking between meetings.
We incorporate Bible memorization into our children’s education. It’s easier since we homeschool, though it still takes discipline and accountability.
If you are not memorizing can you start today? If you are, what have you found helpful?
By Pastor Doug
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The past few weeks have been filled with great joy and delight. I am so thankful for our 40th Anniversary Celebration as we rejoiced in what God has done. I am thankful for your testimonies and encouragement.
I praise God for the seminar and concert with Michael Card. God richly blessed our time. I was so grateful to give testimony to how God has used his music in my life. Michael ministered the Word of the Gospels graciously during our worship.
On September 9th our prayer meeting to follow God’s call to humble ourselves and pray and seek His face turning from our evil ways (2 Chronicles 7:14) was a great blessing to me. Thank you. May God help us to further turn in humility to our Savior.
As we begin our new year with choirs, youth ministries, care group, Sunday School, I am humbled by how so many of you volunteer to support the many ministries of the church. Thank you. I praise God because of you and your joyful service to Him and to His people.
We look forward to the Men’s Retreat, Thursday-Saturday, October 22-24. On October 25th at the 6:00 p.m. Evening Service we will be honoring Frank and Cindy Sindler whom we have partnered with in missions for over 20 years. We look forward to ministry in our community through Trunk ‘n’ Treat, October 31st.
The Vacation Bible School Committee has already met and is planning significant outreach in our community for VBS next July.
I praise God for you and pray the lord’s richest blessing on each of you.
- Needed Supplies for the Manse can be found here
- Sign up to Fold Bulletins
- Sign up to help with kitchen clean up here
What I’m Reading
- Book: Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul Tripp –
- Book: Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas. I read this book a while ago, and am mining it to better understand the impact of Wilberforce’s life and how he ended up there. “God almighty has set before me two great objects: the suppression of the Slave Trade and the reformation of manners.” (69)
- 7:00 PM – Session and Deacon Meeting.
- 8:00 AM – (Postponed until 10/24) The Fredericksburg Pregnancy Center’s 2015 Walk/Run for Life (info in foyer)
- 9:00 AM – AM Praise Team Rehearsal
- 9:00 AM – Sunday School for Children and Adults. Find out more about adult classes online here.
- 10:00 AM – AM Worship Service – Pastor Doug will continue his sermon series on the book of Matthew.
- 6:00 PM – Evening Service – Rich Leino Preaching
- 7:00 PM – Senior High Youth Discipleship (youth room) / Junior High Youth (room 217)
- 7 PM – Elder-led Prayer Time – Chris Garcia Leading