New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events.]
Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
I love the Thanksgiving Holiday. First, it is a great day to express the kindness of God in my life and in the lives of the people I love. It is a good thing to see God’s care for us through the year and to vocalize it. Second, I love the time together with family. My wife Julie’s dad comes each year and our time with him is a great opportunity to be with family from out of state. Third, I love that it representsthe start of the Christmas season. Advent starts the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Finally, I really love Thanksgiving because on Thanksgiving, our church cares for so many people in the community. This Thanksgiving, we will give away around 500 turkey dinners to Fredericksburg residents in the name of Jesus. It is our chance to show people in the community a small picture of Jesus’ love. It gives us the chance to connect with people in the community and invite them to new Bible Studies. In the past, we started Bible Studies from the relationships we made during this ministry.
This is a great opportunity for you to serve Christ by meeting the needs of people in our community. Would you be interested in participating? It’s not too hard to do. You could bake a turkey and/or a pie. You could come and prepare food for the huge event. You could package and deliver meals on Thursday morning. You can recommend someone to receive a meal from us. You can donate toward the outreach. I am probably forgetting something, but you get the point. There are a lot of things you can do.
You can find out about the opportunities online by clicking this link. There is a “Volunteer Signup” link on the page that will allow you to tell us how you can help. We are thankful for Christopher Dale’s leadership of the ministry this year, and very thankful for the 9 years of service from Jimmy and Rachel Whitman as they hand it off this year.
There are two more opportunities in November to spread the gospel in very practical ways.
First, on Thursday night (tonight) we are hosting Spirit Night at Chic-fil-a (Central Park) to help raise money for the Central Virginia Justice Initiative (CVJI) in their effort to end human trafficking in our region. Stop by between 5 and 8 to get some dinner and let them know that you have come for Spirit night with New Life in Christ Church. A percentage of any sales will go to support CVJI in their work.
Second, we have started up Operation Christmas Child again. This is a chance for us as a church to be involved in the work of international missions by packing a shoebox with gifts for a child overseas. Boxes will be collected by Brenda Storms on November 23. The boxes you bring to New Life in Christ are an inspiration to one another to be involved on a mission together.
Weekend Event List
- Session/Deacons Meeting at 7 PM – Please pray for our elders and deacons as we meet to care for New Life in Christ Church
- (All Day) Christian Service (Boy’s) Brigade Battalion Backpack Trip
- Women’s Breakfast – 9 AM – Michelle Trampe will be speaking on the Central Virginia Justice Initiative and its vision to join in the battle against the evil of human trafficking through prayer and action. Sarah Worman will be speaking on ministering to local indigent public school students through collections of basic necessities and meeting some of their fundamental needs. Please join us and encourage them in their ministry callings as we eat breakfast together and hear brief messages from each at 9 am. Pleasesign up here if you would like to bring something for breakfast. PLEASE come, even if you cannot bring food, there’s always plenty, and your fellowship and attendance are highly valued and more important than the food we bring.
- 10:00 am Central Virginia Justice Initiative (room 219)
- 10:30 am Women’s Ministry Training (room 217)
- 10:30 am AM Praise Team Rehearsal
- 9:00 am Adult and Children’s Sunday School Classes
- 10:00 am Worship Service – Pastor Douglas Kittredge will continue with his sermon series through the Gospel according to Matthew.
- 1:00 pm Young Adult Potluck at the Allison’s home – All Young Adults are invited to the home of Jonathan and Veronica Allison for lunch after church. Hope you can come.
- 6:00 pm Evening Service – Youth Boston Trip Report
- 7:00 pm Senior High Youth Discipleship (youth room) / Junior High Youth (room 217)
- 7:00 pm Elder-led Prayer Time – George Giddens and Kim Lorei leading