New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events.]
Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
On Tuesday night, a great debate took place at the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky. Ken Ham (representing biblical divine creationism) debated Bill Nye, well-known as “Bill Nye the Science Guy” (representing atheistic naturalistic evolution) over the question, “Is creation a viable model of origins in today’s modern, scientific era?”
Nye instigated the debate months ago when he criticized Christian parents who teach their children that humanity exists as a result of God’s special creation instead of through naturalistic evolution. He said,
“[I]f you want to deny evolution and live in your world, in your world that’s completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe, that’s fine, but don’t make your kids do it because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future. We need people that can—we need engineers that can build stuff, solve problems.”
As I watched the debate I was lost on Nye’s argument here. I thought to myself, “This makes no sense. Scientific discoveries have been going on for thousands of years by people who believed the world was created by God. Many recent discoveries have been made by evangelical believers [Ham gave a few examples of these believers]. Just because people believe God created the world and everything in it doesn’t mean that they lose their curiosity in the working of the world. Christians have been among the world’s greatest innovators.”
God has created us to be curious. It is part of being made in His image. We are created to explore, discover, create, and improve. We are created to steward all creation, provide for the flourishing of the human race, and glorify God. Christians may reject the worldview of biological evolution, but we accept genuine the observational scientific discoveries in every area of science, whether in biology, physics, or geology. We believe that understanding these things help us to glorify God and help one another flourish.
We certainly don’t see Bill Nye’s concern panning out at New Life in Christ Church. Inside our church we have individuals who have studied across the entire scope of educational fields. I see many of the children of our church growing up and going to college so they can faithfully serve God the world in which they live.
Christian parents can and should encourage a sanctified curiosity in all that God has created. All of creation is divine revelation, it is God’s spoken Word (Genesis 1, Psalm 19). As we study it, whether we explore cells or galaxies, we understand what He has said and gain insight to the mind and character of our Creator. As we understand we marvel and we innovate. We take dominion as God commands us to do (Genesis 1:27).
It is critical that we help our children to see the wonder of Christ as our Creator. It is important to stimulate curiosity even as we help them wonder at the beauty of a universe created by God.
Speaking of beauty, this weekend is our 5th annual Festival of the Arts. Through His own speech, God is Creator, Author, and Artist, displaying truth by speaking it into existence. In the Arts we communicate through our own creative work. Artists show forth the brokenness and the hope of life in this world, of its pain and beauty. As believers we attempt to speak God’s truth by reflecting what we see and know about the Fall and God’s plan for salvation. I am glad that we get to see those truths plainly displayed this weekend. You are invited to join the Festival on Friday or Saturday night from 6 to 9 PM. Joe Dibella has a special display of his “Job series” in room 100. All visual arts will be on display for the duration of the evening. We will have dramatic arts and music running through the entire evening. We are glad to have “The President’s Own” join us for a performance on Saturday night at 8 PM. Join us and INVITE A FRIEND!
If you are interested in the debate, it is available online for free for the next few days at debatelive.com. If you want a great analysis of the debate, I suggest reading Albert Mohler’s analysis, available online at http://www.albertmohler.com/
2014/02/05/bill-nyes- reasonable-man-the-central- worldview-clash-of-the-ham- nye-debate/. Mohler addresses the most significant considerations in understanding this debate. If you took our Apologetics Sunday School Class a year ago, you will see that Mohler addresses the very issues we discussed in that class.
See you Sunday.
Friday and Saturday
5th Annual Festival of the Arts (Friday and Saturday from 6 PM to 9 PM)
Come and view the creative arts as produced by New Life in Christ Church members and friends, all to the glory of God. This is a showcase of artistic works never before shown at a Festival.
This year we have a special exhibit from our own Joe Dibella (also a professor at the University of Mary Washington) on series of pieces on the book of Job. He will be offering his personal explanations of the piece between 6:30 and 7:45 both evenings in room 100. I’ve seen many of them and they are a wonderful reflection on the human experience in both the brokenness of the world and the hope found in the gospel. Joe is a very gifted and thoughtful artist and you will be blessed incoming.
- Displays are open at 6 PM on Friday and Saturday.
- Stage presentations will start at 6:30 PM.
- On Friday, we will have a special show from our own Brass Quintet at 8 PM. On Saturday, “The President’s Own”, the US Marine string quartet, will be playing at 8 PM.
9 AM – Women’s Breakfast – Prayer Shower for 7 (!) Expectant Moms February 8th
- Rejoice with Amanda Oberlin (due March 28th, girl), Cindy Hughes (due April 7th, girl), Laura Heflin (due May 11th, girl), Laura Scrivener (June 17th, boy), Breanna Taussig (June), Jessie Whalen (July 3) and Trina Ewing (due late Aug/early Sept) in expectation of covenant babies!
- Come for breakfast and fellowship – Don’t know the moms? A great reason to come meet them!
- Pray for the new lives even now as they are being formed, for their salvation, their families and for safe and healthy deliveries for each mother and child.
- No need to bring gifts (four of these are the families’ first babies so there will be baby showers)
- Children are welcome, we’d love to have them join in the prayer and expectation of babies!
- Sign up here if you are willing to help with breakfast.
- Let us know if there are other expectant moms to include that we don’t know email@example.com.
10:00 AM – AM Praise Team Rehearsal
11:30 AM – Memorial Service for Erika Johnston (Fireside Room)
- Sunday School – Sunday School – 9 AM (click here to see an online description of adult classes)
- Worship Service – 10 AM –Pastor Doug Preaching
- 1:00 pm Young Adult Potluck at the Allison’s home
- 4:30 pm Care Group Leader’s meeting (room 219)
- 4:30 pm Women’s Ministry Committee meeting (room 217)
- 4:30 pm Cherokee Team meeting (youth room) – see Jay Storms
- Evening Service – 6 PM – Congregational Vote for Officer Candidates
- Junior and Senior High Youth Discipleship Groups –7 PM
- Come to Pray – Corporate Prayer at 7 PM.
- College Drama Ministry – 7 PM
- Understanding the Financial Aid Process for College with Tracey Fischer (7:15 pm; room 118)