New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events this weekend.]
Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
As you may know, we are compiling a book of testimonies to share the many ways that New Life in Christ church has ministered to people through the years. I’ve asked our elders and deacons if they would be willing to contribute a testimony for the Weekender and for the Book. Over the next few weeks, I will publish the testimonies in the Weekender. The first one is from Robin Wilson.
Psalms 118:23, “This is the Lords doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.”
Twenty years ago Kathy and I moved down from “Kittredge” Lane in Merrimack, New Hampshire to run a business that we had purchased. I moved down first since our daughter was in her senior year of high school and we wanted her to finish in New Hampshire. Our son was in his second year at Wheaton College.
I moved down in January of 2004 and started calling churches in the Fredericksburg area for a fundamentally based church with a singles group for my business partner who was single and had just received the Lord. A Pastor told me to visit New Life in Christ.
When I attended I learned the Pastor’s name was Doug “Kittredge” and he spoke about going to Wheaton College. This immediately caught my attention and I loved Doug’s peaching/teaching style. Also, the music was very similar to our church in NH.
My partner and I attended that first Sunday of January and we also went to the singles Sunday school class that Doug and Mary Jane were teaching.
I was hooked on New Life and so was Kathy when she came down with our daughter in May of that year. Since God has a humor He led us to lead the Sunday school singles class for the next couple of years.
Shortly after we took over about all of the singles were married and the class became the young adult class.
My daughter, Kari, went to Messiah College and started going on missions trips with the college. I am sure New Life’s strong mission’s emphasis had a strong input to this direction. She later graduated from college and went on a two year mission trip into Rubio, Venezuela, which NLIC helped to support.
NLIC’s strong outreach to my son, Chad, came in a totally different direction. Chad met and married Naomi Kittredge. We now share four beautiful grandchildren with Doug and Mary Jane.
With both of our kids in college, and Kathy and I starting up a new business , we needed a job for Kathy to help with college expenses. Kathy was a teacher in NH, and with Gary and Andi Foss’ help, she immediately found a position teaching fourth grade for Fredericksburg Christian School. Her classroom was in one of the trailers behind the church. Kathy had always wanted to be in a church choir and NLIC gave her that opportunity. She pulled me along and we been enjoying the experience for many years now.
NLIC also had a strong influence in my life as well. I had received Christ as my Lord and Savior at 27. The impact of the Holy Spirit was life changing and I was and am called to share God’s love with others. I was using several different methods – The four Spiritual Laws, John 3, the cross illustration but at our other churches I had never formally trained in Evangelism. Early on New Life gave me the opportunity to learn Evangelism Explosion. I took the course and NLIC sent to EE’s formal training class in Virginia Beach. I am now a deacon in the church and working with the church to make an outreach into our local community.
New Life is an active impactful church with programs that will meet about every need. It is what I call a “doing church”. We do not just meet on Sunday we are active changing lives for Christ.
So if you were to ask me if NLIC has had and influence in my family I would certainly have to say – are you kidding – absolutely.
- Want to share your story of how NLIC has affected your life? Put it in our upcoming book on NLIC testimonies. You can find out how to contribute online by clicking here.
- Nepal Earthquake relief with Mission to the World (the PCA’s missions group).
What I’m Reading
- Book: Words in Season by Leon Brown
- Book: To Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel Wholly by Grace Communicated Truthfully & Lovingly by Will Metzger
- Book: Counter Culture: A Compassionate Call to Counter Culture in a World of Poverty, Same-Sex Marriage, Racism, Sex Slavery, Immigration, Abortion, Persecution, Orphans and Pornography by David Platt. See the quote below.
- Online: Did you see that our own Jon and Olya Powell were highlighted in the PCA’s monthly magazine about Ukraine? You can read their story online by downloading this PDF.
- Online: This quote was stunning from the late Roman Catholic Bishop Francis George who died April 17, “It is likely that I will die in my bed. My successor will die in prison. His successor will die executed in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
- Online: How the KGB created Liberation Theology. When communist governments want to co opt the Christian faith, what do they create? Liberation theology.
- Online: Why We’re Giving Away the ESV Global Study Bible (to Everyone). Get it. Use it. Good resource!
- Online: Mom! A great little video about our moms. I thank God for the moms in my life.
- 7 PM Session Meeting – Pray for the elders of the church as they meet this evening.
- 9:00 AM – Women’s Breakfast (fireside room) – Mother’s Day Focus
- 9:00 AM – “Moses” Orchestra Rehearsal (room 100)
- 10:30 AM – AM Praise Team Rehearsal
- 7:00 PM – Central Virginia Justice Initiative Prayer Meeting (Sanctuary) – Come and pray for the end of the evil of human trafficking in our region. We will be joining with other church for a time of worship and prayer. “I am ashamed to confess that it wasn’t until recently that I realized the severity of sex trafficking in the world around me. For a long time, the idea of slavery seemed to me a relic of a bygone era centuries before my time. I never could have imagined that there are more slaves today than were seized from Africa in four centuries of the transatlantic slave trade. I never could have comprehended that twenty-seven million people live in slavery today-more than at any other time in history. I never could have fathomed that many of these millions are being bought, sold, and exploited for sex in what has become one of the fastest growing industries on earth” – David Platt, Counter Culture, 118
- 9:00 AM – Children’s and Adult Sunday School Classes. Find out more about adult classes online here.
- 10:00 AM – AM Worship Service –Pastor Doug Preaching.
- 6:00 pm – Evening Service – Pastor Sean Preaching
- 7:00 pm –Junior/Senior High Youth Discipleship
- 7:00 pm – Elder-led Prayer Time this week – Parker Page Leading