New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events this weekend.]
Dear New Life in Christ Church Family,
What a weekend! We had a wonderful celebration last weekend, praising God for His faithfulness during our 40th anniversary. We had great testimonies of God’s goodness, glorious times of worship, and encouragement from God’s Word. I hope you were encouraged.
We exist to honor God in the making of leaders to build God’s kingdom.
One of the ways we do this is through Vacation Bible School. Would you pray for our Bible School? We anticipate that over 100 children will join us over the week to hear the good news of Jesus Christ. Pray that God would open the hearts of these children to hear and understand the gospel of Jesus Christ, that they would have fun and connect with the church. Some of them are already part of New Life in Christ Church. As many as 40% will be visitors.
Here are some important details:
- Encourage your children to invite neighbors and friends.
- This year we are hosting a special Friday afternoon family get together for all the VBS families to come together for a cookout, to sing some songs, and to show off their VBS accomplishments. Plan to come back Friday at 6 PM and connect with others.
- You must register online before August 19th. On August 20th, the online registration will close. After that, everyone will have to wait until the first day of VBS. Once VBS starts, we really want to pay attention to guests and get them going. We don’t want to have to register NLIC members who knew they were coming and did not plan ahead. So please, if you know you are going, register before Sunday! 😀 Why not do it now by clicking here?
- There are still opportunities to serve. We are especially looking for high school helpers from grades 10-12 as important classroom assistants.
- We also need someone to donate food items for participants and volunteers.
- You can lend science-themed decoration items, donate craft supplies for student activities
As for this weekend, we have a men’s breakfast Saturday (8 AM … I am teaching about how God meets our needs as men … and how we should not let wants become needs). There is also an open house for Josh and Anacari Storms in celebration of their wedding. Finally join us Sunday for great Sunday school classes, continuing sermon series on the book of Leviticus, an evening service (I’m preaching on how to use words to transform lives), and an open house at Dan and Brenda Deaconson’s house.
See you this weekend.
PS. For our 40th anniversary we gave out these things. Did you pick yours up? They will be available Sunday.
- Your picture directory (one per household)
- An excellent book of Testimonies from people from our congregation over the years
- Your pre-purchased cookbooks.
- Needed Supplies for the Manse can be found here
- Sign up to Fold Bulletins
- Help with the Pre-Teen Girls Bible Study
- Help with the Pre-16 Boys Study
What I’m Reading
- Book: The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges
- Book: Counter Culture: A Compassionate Call to Counter Culture in a World of Poverty, Same-Sex Marriage, Racism, Sex Slavery, Immigration, Abortion, Persecution, Orphans and Pornography by David Platt
- Book: The Exemplary Husband by Stuart Scott. We are reading this for our men’s breakfast groups. I found this online review of the book if you are interested in more about it.
- Book: On Guard: Preventing and Responding to Child Abuse at Church by Deepak Reju – a very helpful book on preventing child sexual abuse in the church. We are seeking a new Director of Child Protection. If you are interested in serving in this way, please see me.
- 7:00 PM Session and Deacon Meeting
- 8:00 AM – Men’s Breakfast – Men, this week we are covering chapter 3 in the book Exemplary Husband. If you have the book, read ahead. If not, you can still join in the fun.
- 9:30 AM – Sunday AM Praise Team Rehearsal
- 10:15 AM – Women’s Ministry Training
- 6 PM – Open House for newlyweds Josh and Anacari Storms (5803 Tipperary Trail, 22407)
- 9:00 AM – Children’s and Adult Sunday School Classes. Find out more about adult classes online here.
- 10:00 AM – AM Worship Service –Pastor Doug Preaching
- 11:45 PM – After service – Congregational Meeting to vote on Sam Capitano to return to the session and Pete O’Hara to return to the deaconate.
- Pre-Teen Girls Bible Study – Meet in Foyer
- Pre-16 Boys Bible Study – Meet at Foyer
- 6 PM – Evening Service – Pastor Sean Preaching
- Open House at the Deaconsons