New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend.
[Scroll down for weekend events]
Dear New Life in Christ Family,
This has been an absolutely thrilling week at New Life in Christ Church. As I write on Thursday morning, we celebrate the fact that we had at least 110 children participate in Vacation Bible School this year. This is the most children at VBS since I have arrived at the church in 2005! From what I can tell, the swell of numbers is because of great inviting. One of the most exciting parts of VBS this year was how many visitors joined us this year. There were 27 children who do not attend NLIC and many of them are from unchurched homes. Every classroom I visited had a child I did not know. I rejoiced in seeing our teachers and other students personally discipling these children and teaching them the Scriptures. The fact that the kids invited their friends was really encouraging to everyone.
We also had around 58 volunteer staff running the program, teaching, leading music, performing drama, organizing snacks, playing games, and doing crafts. We had excellent leadership from a team of ladies this year as well: Carrie Verbosky, Kristin Garcia, and Sarah Kittredge did a great job organizing the event this year. Thank you to each person who has helped with this ministry this year, you helped make it a smashing success.
Many churches have paid staff members to organize ministries like this. It is a powerful testimony to God’s work here that this ministry is organized entirely by volunteers who put themselves out there for the week. This must be the day of power at New Life in Christ Church! “Your people will offer themselves freely on the day of your power, in holy garments; from the womb of the morning, the dew of your youth will be yours.” – Psalm 110:3
Vacation Bible School is our summer children’s outreach and a key way to connect whole families with the church. Look this Sunday for children you have never seen. They should be here singing during the call to worship. During the week, the kids learned the fundamentals of the gospel message—created in God’s image; mankind’s fall into sin; the inability of people to save themselves; the salvation provided through Jesus Christ; and the necessity of faith for salvation. It is basic, but that does not mean that it is simple. Each of the kids gets to go deeper and deeper into the faith, so even children that have been in the church for years benefit from being there. Additionally, the children brought in money to give to the Fredericksburg Pregnancy Center. I don’t know how much they raised, but they filled bunches of baby bottles with coins.
As we build the kingdom by training leaders, it is especially critical that we reach out to younger people and share the great hope of the gospel with each one. As we are faithful to God’s call to proclaim the gospel, our prayer is that we would see children coming to faith and covenant children growing in the knowledge of Christ. That is happening this week. Praise God!
- · 4 am – Peru Missions Team Departs (Pray for the Peru Mission Trip)
- · 8:50am – 12:30 pm – Last Day of Vacation Bible School
- · Junior High and Senior High Picnic and Swim at the Kittredge Home (5 PM)
- · Children’s and Adult Sunday School Classes – 9 AM (Click here for list of Adult Classes)
- · Worship Service – 10 AM –Pastor Doug is preaching and continuing the morning sermon series, “The Joy of a Clear Conscience: A Study on the Ten Commandments”
- · Register for Blood Drive – There will be a registration table set up this Sunday. Date of Blood Drive is August 8th, 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm in the Fireside room
- · Lunch for Visitors (immediately following the service) – Let’s say you are new to the church … How do you meet new people? Or … if you meet somebody Sunday morning, how can you immediately help them build relationships? Think about this … If you have a friend and you want them to meet others in the church, what do you do? We have a Sunday Lunch in the Fireside Room this Sunday to help make those connections. So, if you are just recently visiting, meet someone new, or want to connect a friend come to lunch right after the morning service, come to our lunch Sunday after the service. We have food to share, and if you want to bring something as well, it is always appreciated.
The Wednesday Night Care Group is hosting the lunch this week. Thanks!
- · Girl’s (6th – 14 years) Summer Study immediately following Worship
- · Care Group Leaders Training @ 4:30 PM
- · Evening Service – 6 PM – Cherokee Team Report
- · Open House – During the summer, one of the best ways to connect with the church and make friends is to come to one of our Sunday Evening Open Houses. This week the Open House is at the home of Jim and Karen Melnick (335 Poplar Road Fredericksburg, VA 22406). We are very thankful for their hospitality and look forward to seeing you there. Have you been to one this year? Could you come to this one?