New Life in Christ Weekender
A short reminder of events happening this weekend
[Scroll down for a list of events this weekend.]
God’s Call to Prayer by Pastor Doug
[Don’t miss our special call to prayer next Wednesday night at 7 PM]
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
The Lord our God promises in 2 Chronicles 7:14 that “if my people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
There is no question that our land needs healing. We are stunned and shocked by the immorality and coarseness that seems to characterize our nation. The response of many is anger resulting in an increasing number of conflicts in our culture.
Yet that anger is not to be focused on others but channeled into grief at our own sin. Anger at others’ moral failures only gives us reason to feel that we are without fault. Our God calls us to examine ourselves and acknowledge our offenses against God and others. We are to humble ourselves submitting to God’s eyesight who sees our hypocrisy.
What afflicts our nation is a spirit of discontent. Instead of being grateful for the prosperity God has given to our nation, a prosperity unknown to much of the world, we complain about what we don’t have and those who may be standing in the way of our getting what we want.
As Jeremiah challenged God’s people, so our God confronts us, “Let us now fear the Lord our God, who gives rain, both the former and latter, in its season…Your iniquities have turned these things away, And your sins have withheld good things from you” (Jeremiah 5:24-25).
If God withholds His blessing, the cure is to confess our sins and not complain about others. We need the Lord to be our salvation.
How is our heart given to covetousness (Jeremiah 6:12)? How do we oppress the immigrants and internationals, the fatherless and the widows (Jeremiah 7:6)?
How do we excuse our sin by believing that God has forgiven our sin so that we might continue in our lawless and self centered behavior (Jeremiah 7:10)?
In what ways do we seek truth and face ourselves as God sees us? Do we strengthen our conscience by the Word of God? Or do we refuse to listen to God and therefore follow the dictates of our demanding heart (Jeremiah 7:24 & 9:14)?
God calls us to repent and turn from our wicked ways before Him. He will forgive our sins through the blood of Christ and will send from heaven this healing for us, our family, our church and our nation.
On September 9th, a prayer meeting will focus on humbling ourselves before Almighty God believing His Word in 2 Chronicles 7:14.
May our prayers through the work of Jesus Christ heal our exasperated hearts and be a sweet healing for us and for our land.
Expectantly in Christ,
Opportunities for Growth by Pastor Sean
I wanted to share our great lineup of fall Sunday School classes. These are a great resource for seeking the face of God and putting him at the center of your life.
Summer Kingdom Classes
Adult Sunday School at New Life in Christ
(September 6 – November 29, 2015)
Come join us and grow in your relationship with Christ. New classes begin September 6. Classes meet at 9 AM and are open to all.
Covenant of Discipleship Taught by Pastor Doug Kittredge
Are you interested in joining New Life in Christ Church? In this class Pastor Doug will cover the core convictions of the church, our structure as you prepare to make a public profession of your faith. Begins September 6 in Pastor Doug’s office.
Bible: Romans: The Glory of God in the Cross of Christ
Taught by Chris Garcia and Mark Shigley
Romans has been described as the most theological book of the Bible. Far from being merely an intellectual work, we learn in this book how Christ’s death and resurrection fully atoned for our sins once and for all, and how this has made us children of God. Come join us as we study the astounding love of God and the hope and security we have in the finished work of Christ.
Christian Doctrine: Our Presbyterian Heritage
Taught by Jay Storms and Jeff McConnell
This study is important not as a matter of “Presbyterian” pride but as part of the process of seeking to know God and to make sure that we as individuals, congregations, denominations and the body of Christ are seeking God as He has revealed himself in the Bible. This class is as much about tracing the heritage of those that faithfully seek God’s truth as it is about Presbyterianism. We pray that this course will help us all to reaffirm the course that God has put us on and encourage us in our walk and daily witness to God’s sovereignty and grace.
Christian Living: Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens
Taught by Pastor Sean.
In this class, we will uncover the heart issues that affect parents and their teenage children during the often-chaotic adolescent years. Using wit, wisdom, humility, and compassion, parents will learn how to seize the countless opportunities to deepen communication and learn and grow with their teens. This class is primarily a discussion class and will require weekly reading from Paul Tripp’s book Age of Opportunity. Pick up a copy online (http://amzn.to/1fscsUC) or from the church office before class begins.
Christian Practice: Prayers of the Bible
Taught by George Giddens and Dan Deaconson
Prayers of the Bible — see how God responded to praises, questions and complaints from people who truly believed Him to hear and answer. We will apply to our lives today.
- Register for Adult and Children CHOIRS/DRAMA
- Register for Women’s Bible Study
- Needed Supplies for the Manse can be found here
- Sign up to Fold Bulletins
- Sign up to help with kitchen clean up here
Pastor Sean’s Reading
- Book: Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul Tripp – The teen years “are the years of penetrating questions, the years of wonderful discussions never before possible. These are the years of failure and struggle that put the teen’s true heart on the table. These are the years of daily ministry and of great opportunity. These are not years merely to be survived! They are to be approached with a sense of hope and a sense of mission” (19). I’m leading a class on this for our September Sunday School classes. Pick up a book if you are planning to join us.
- Book: George Washington’s Sacred Fire by Peter Lillback– A very interesting book on the faith of George Washington. Was he a Deist? Peter Lillabeck says “no way!” and proves it with Washington’s own words. I found one early chapter on the Christian history of Virginia fascinating.
- Online: The Marriage Vows Exist for Sin – “The vows exist because sin is real.Sure, we may not know what sins will become real in our relationships, putting stress on the covenant, but the vows exist because sin does.”
- Online: Why should we study systematic theology? Also helps us see why we should keep learning, including going to Sunday school! (Even as adults)
- Online: Why we Fail at Family Devotions – What some tips to make your family devotions more successful?
- Online: “My Husband is on the Ashley Madison List. What now?”
- Online Book Review: Virgin Nation: Sexual Purity and American Adolescence – ever wonder where the “purity ring” came from? While this article is a bit academic, it is a helpful resource to seeing some of the negative ways parachurch ministries distort the gospel and make morality about personal gain, rather than walking with a holy God.
- 7:00 PM – Deacons Meeting
- 7:00 PM – Prayer Meeting for Expectant Moms (at Amy Auker’s Home)
- 9:00 AM – Praise Team Rehearsal
Sunday – Celebration of the Lord’s Supper
- 9:00 AM – Sunday School for Children and Adults
- 9:00 AM – Adult Sunday School Classes. Find out more about adult classes online here.
- 10:00 AM – AM Worship Service –Pastor Doug Preaching– We are restarting our series through Matthew this week.
- 6:00 PM – Evening Service – Pastor Sean Preaching … Tips for Reaching others for Christ
- 6:00 PM – Open House – During the summer, one of the best ways to connect with the church and make friends is to come to one of our Sunday Evening Open Houses. This week the Open House is at the home of Jeff and Dorinda McConnell (2616 Patriot Lane 22408). We are very thankful for their hospitality and look forward to seeing you there. Have you been to one this year? Could you come to this one? Last one for the summer! Invite a friend.