Dear New Life in Christ Family,
“Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.’” – Matthew 19:14
As a congregation it is very important to us that children have a safe place to learn about the love of Jesus. We envision a church where people see the love of Christ in action while they hear about his love in the gospel. That is why the session has implemented a Child Protection Plan for all youth and children’s ministries at New Life in Christ Church.
This plan has been in the work for few years now. Back in 2012 we discussed the plan at our Focus Day meeting and received lots of good feedback. While we couldn’t implement every suggested change, we made a number of changes, and at the recommendation of the group, we asked a lawyer to review the document. We have since approved an adjusted Plan.
Here are some of the significant changes:
- The designation of a Director of Child Protection (thanks to Jack Burrows for volunteering for this role)
- Having all volunteers who work with children submit an application and undergo a background check. Every volunteer will watch an online training video to prevent child sexual abuse in the church.
- The designation of a Children Ministry Team.
- A more clear reporting procedure when and if an allegation is made.
This obviously means that most members of New Life in Christ Church will go through a background check as they continue through their ministry with children. We appreciate your willingness to get involved with this process and we are certain that this Plan will help instill a greater sense of confidence in our carrying out of our children’s ministry, especially among visitors who regularly ask what we do for child protection.
I have attached a copy of the Plan to this email; I encourage you to look it over. The session has called a congregational meeting for April 21 at 4:30 PM to discuss the child protection plan. Please bring any concerns that you may have about the plan to the meeting, or email me your thoughts.
Thank you for your love of the Lord, of New Life in Christ Church, and of our covenant children.
[Events List for the Week]
Session Meeting (7:00 PM) – Please pray for the leadership of your church as we work though the mission of the church. Let your elder know if there is something you would like prayer for.
Boys Brigade Shape N Race (Regionals) – six boys are bringing their cars to Maryland for the annual shape n race competition. New Life in Christ is the current reigning champion. Pray for the boys that they would continue to grow in Christ-like character as they participate in these races.
- Combined Adult Sunday School (includes Junior High and Senior High) – 9 AM
For the month of March, all adults (plus Junior and Senior high students) will meet for a combined Sunday school class in the Sanctuary.
March 24: Israel Ministry – Jim Melnick
- Worship Service – 10 AM –Karl Dortzbach Preaching
- Peru Team Interviews – 4:30 PM
- Child Evangelism Fellowship 5-Day Club Training – 4:30 PM
- Children’s Ministry Team Meeting – 4:30 – Review the Child Protection Plan
- Cherokee Mission Team Training – 4:30 PM
- Evening Service – 6 PM – Super Sunday. Join us for one of our most special and important services of the year as we celebrate the end of missions month and unveil next year’s Faith Promise. It is a time and a call to commitment.
- Junior and Senior High Youth Groups – Sunday at 7 PM
- Come to Pray – Corporate Prayer at 7 PM.